As water conservation becomes increasingly important in San Diego, residents are encouraged to explore eco-friendly solutions to reduce their water consumption. San Diego Drums & Totes, the largest stocking supplier of rain barrels and tanks in Southern California since 2012, provides essential equipment for rainwater harvesting. In conjunction with their offerings, two notable rebate programs, offered by the City of San Diego and SoCalWaterSmart.com, provide incentives for the installation of rain barrels and cisterns. These programs aim to promote the collection and reuse of rainwater, benefiting the environment and lowering water bills. In this blog post, we will summarize the key information for each rebate program, guiding you towards making an informed decision on rainwater harvesting. The below mentioned rebates can be combined for additional savings.
SoCalWaterSmart.com Rebate Program: The SoCalWaterSmart.com rebate program offers attractive incentives for rain barrel and cistern installations. By collecting and reusing rainwater, homeowners can minimize water flow into storm drains, sewer systems, and local waterways. The program emphasizes the benefits of rainwater, which is naturally soft and free of chemicals like chlorine and fluoride that may be present in tap water.
- Rain Barrel (50-199 gallons): $35.00 per barrel
- Cistern (200-500 gallons): $250.00 per cistern
- Cistern (501-999 gallons): $300.00 per cistern
- Cistern (1000+ gallons): $350.00 per cistern
Eligibility and Guidelines:
- Applicants cannot claim rebates for both rain barrels and cisterns.
- Rain barrels must be purchased as an entire unit; homemade rain barrels are not eligible for rebates.
- Property must have existing gutters and downspouts throughout the entire perimeter of the roof.
- Rain barrels must be designed for rain capture, have a cover to prevent debris and pests, and be mounted to receive water unimpeded from a downspout.
- Cisterns must be rigid and continuously hold their shape, with capacities ranging from 200 to 500+ gallons.
- Installation addresses must match the address on the water bill.
City of San Diego Rebate Program: The City of San Diego offers a rain barrel rebate program aimed at encouraging residents to conserve water and reduce stormwater runoff. By installing rain barrels, homeowners contribute to the conservation efforts and help protect the city’s bays and estuaries from untreated runoff water.
- $1.00 per gallon of rain barrel storage capacity, up to 400 gallons.
- Maximum rebate per property: $400.
Eligibility and Guidelines:
- Rain barrel capacity must be between 45 and 200 gallons.
- Rain barrels must be connected to a rain gutter downspout and should not be connected to the irrigation system.
- The rain barrel must have a secure lid, overflow valve, and be algae and UV-resistant.
- Participants must allow the City to reference the project in outreach materials and respond to requests for information about the project.
- A post-site inspection may be required by City Staff.
- Rebate check will be sent approximately 6-8 weeks after the application is deemed complete.
- Take a clear photograph of the installation site before installing rain barrel(s).
- Install rain barrel(s) according to the provided guidelines.
- Take at least two clear photographs of each installed rain barrel, showcasing downspout connections, secured lid, and overflow valve.
- Submit the Rain Barrel and Downspout Redirect Application along with supporting documentation, including photographs and paid invoices or sales receipt